Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Thursday, February 19, 2026
  • Login
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Subscribe
Business A.M
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Home WORLD BUSINESS & ECONOMY

EU blocks Alstom-Siemens rail merger due to ‘serious competition concerns’

by Admin
February 6, 2019
in WORLD BUSINESS & ECONOMY
The European Union blocked the rail deal between Alstom and Siemens on Wednesday, citing competition concerns.
The merger proposal between the French and the German companies planned to create a European rail champion with revenues of about 15 billion euros ($17 billion). However, both firms have a large presence in Europe and there were concerns that the deal could challenge EU competition rules.
EU Commissioner Margrethe Vestager, in charge of competition policy, said in a statement: “Without sufficient remedies, this merger would have resulted in higher prices for the signaling systems that keep passengers safe and for the next generations of very high-speed trains.”
“The Commission prohibited the merger because the companies were not willing to address our serious competition concerns,” she added.
 The merger proposal referred only to the companies’ transport services and would have combined them into one new firm, solely controlled by Siemens.
Speaking to CNBC after the announcement, Vestager said: “The huge part of this deal raised no problems whatsoever… but we were still left with main line signalling – which is very important, it’s what keeps us safe on board of a train – and very high speeds and here the companies couldn’t propose remedies that could solve the competition concerns.”
The European Commission, the EU’s executive arm, said that it received a number of complaints during its investigation, including from customers and industry associations, as well as negative comments from several national competition authorities.
The EU’s competition authority specified that the proposed merger would have created an “undisputed” market leader in several mainline signaling markets, as well as reducing the number of suppliers by removing one of the two largest manufacturers of very high-speed rolling stock.
Siemens said in a statement that it regretted the decision, adding that “Europe urgently needs structural reform in the way it shapes its industrial future in a globally connected world.”
Vestager told CNBC’s Willem Marx: “I understand the sense of urgency, because these are very important businesses, these are European champions they are also global champions…and we need to fend for ourselves when it comes to unfair competition, because we see that. We see there is no reciprocity…Of course we need to be more hard-nosed, I do agree on that, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of the European customer.”
Both the German and French governments had supported the merger, believing the deal would’ve been a good counter to the economic rise of China. France’s Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire said earlier this month that blocking the deal would be a “political mistake.”
In Wednesday’s ruling, the European Commission said it considers it “highly unlikely that a new entry from China would represent a competitive constraint.”
“No Chinese supplier has ever participated in a signaling tender in Europe or delivered a single very high speed train outside China. There is no prospect of Chinese entry in the European market in the foreseeable future,” Vestager said in a press conference Wednesday.
“We assess and reexamine our competition rules and the processes, and we adapt them where we need it,” Vestager said in Brussels.
The French government said Wednesday morning that it would be discussing with Germany ways to change European competition rules. “The current EU rules are obsolete,” Le Maire told France 2 television.
Admin
Admin
Previous Post

Nigeria’s state-owned oil firm NNPC to commence search for oil in Benue  Trough, says President Buhari

Next Post

FCMB introduces zero-interest loans to empower women

Next Post

FCMB introduces zero-interest loans to empower women

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

February 11, 2026
NGX taps tech advancements to drive N4.63tr capital growth in H1

Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

August 8, 2025

Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

July 29, 2025

CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

July 29, 2025

6 MLB teams that could use upgrades at the trade deadline

Top NFL Draft picks react to their Madden NFL 16 ratings

Paul Pierce said there was ‘no way’ he could play for Lakers

Arian Foster agrees to buy books for a fan after he asked on Twitter

GSMA presses telecoms to rethink business models for trillion-dollar B2B growth

GSMA urges rethink of spectrum policy to close rural digital divide

February 19, 2026
Unilever, Google Cloud partnership raises stakes in consumer goods digital transformation race

Unilever, Google Cloud partnership raises stakes in consumer goods digital transformation race

February 18, 2026
BUA Group leads Gulf–West Africa drive for integrated food and logistics corridor

BUA Group leads Gulf–West Africa drive for integrated food and logistics corridor

February 18, 2026
FairMoney expands SME credit access to boost financial capacity

FairMoney expands SME credit access to boost financial capacity

February 18, 2026

Popular News

  • Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • How UNESCO got it wrong in Africa

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
Currently Playing

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

Business AM TV

Edeme Kelikume Interview With Business AM TV

Business AM TV

Business A M 2021 Mutual Funds Outlook And Award Promo Video

Business AM TV

Recent News

GSMA presses telecoms to rethink business models for trillion-dollar B2B growth

GSMA urges rethink of spectrum policy to close rural digital divide

February 19, 2026
Unilever, Google Cloud partnership raises stakes in consumer goods digital transformation race

Unilever, Google Cloud partnership raises stakes in consumer goods digital transformation race

February 18, 2026

Categories

  • Frontpage
  • Analyst Insight
  • Business AM TV
  • Comments
  • Commodities
  • Finance
  • Markets
  • Technology
  • The Business Traveller & Hospitality
  • World Business & Economy

Site Navigation

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy & Policy
Business A.M

BusinessAMLive (businessamlive.com) is a leading online business news and information platform focused on providing timely, insightful and comprehensive coverage of economic, financial, and business developments in Nigeria, Africa and around the world.

© 2026 Business A.M

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us

© 2026 Business A.M