Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Tuesday, February 17, 2026
  • Login
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Subscribe
Business A.M
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Home Energy

FG set to revamp Port Harcourt refinery

by Admin
July 14, 2017
in Energy

The Senate and the Federal Government have resolved to revamp the Port Harcourt Refinery as against rumoured plans to concede the facility, News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.

Sen. Abubakar Kyari, Chairman, Senate Ad Hoc Committee on Planned Concession of the Refinery, made this known at a public hearing on the issue in Abuja Thursday.

There had been reports that the Ministry of Petroleum Resources planned to concession the refinery to AGIP/ENI and Oando Plc.

Consequently, the Senate in May set up the seven-member ad-hoc committee to probe the issue, especially with the allegation that 15 billion dollars was involved in the concession process.

Image result for Port Harcourt refinery

At the hearing, Ibe Kachikwu the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, debunked the claims, saying there was no such plan.

Kyari had during the hearing told Kachikwu that there was a media publication credited to him that “26 investors had indicated interest in the concession’’.

But, the minister said “as the driver of the policy of the petroleum industry, there has not been any approval from anybody or President Muhammadu Buhari to concede the refinery.

“I am worried that after about 50 years of oil production in this country, when I assumed office, NNPC was producing below 10 per cent.

“We have made it up to 30 per cent performance and this is still where we are today.

“The issue for the turn-around maintenance was that government was not going to put more money into the process of maintenance but we were going to seek private funding to achieve that objective.”

He stated that his position was that there was no concession.

“I have not given any policy to NNPC or directive for them to concession or to sell. I have conveyed the President’s approval for them to get financing and repair the refinery and bring it to the template,” he said.

He added that his work was a policy work and that he was not the one running the refineries, explaining that the idea was for Nigerians to maintain the refineries “and that must be uppermost”.

In his submission, Wale Tinubu, Group Chief Executive of Oando Plc, said that there was “no concession, no privatisation and no sale of any assets.

“All that is happening is that responsible corporate bodies, responsible individuals and government were trying to find a solution to the perennial disgrace of exporting our crude and importing petroleum products.

“There are only three countries in the world that import petroleum products – Iran, Iraq, and Nigeria.

“Nigeria exports copious amount of crude and still import petroleum products. This is a national disgrace that we need to find solutions to as quickly as possible,” Tinubu said.

He, however, urged all stakeholders to collaborate effectively to find solutions through private channels in fixing the existing refineries in the country.

In his remarks, chairman of the committee said “after all deliberations, we have achieved a lot.

“Henceforth, all processes whether it is revamping or concession, will be done in accordance with the extant laws and in accordance with due process and it will be transparent.

“It will be in an accountable manner, in line with this present administration’s change agenda.

“We are asking the executive to follow those laws and the policies and make it transparent and accountable.”

According to Kyari, NNPC did not commit any illegality; what they did is that they did not follow the right steps.

Admin
Admin
Previous Post

Microsoft releases new Windows 10 preview with shell, gaming, Task Manager, and mixed reality improvements

Next Post

‘Nigeria’s new tax initiative a golden opportunity for companies to regularise their tax affairs’

Next Post

‘Nigeria’s new tax initiative a golden opportunity for companies to regularise their tax affairs’

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

February 11, 2026
SIFAX subsidiary bets on operational discipline, cargo diversification to drive recovery at Lagos terminal

SIFAX subsidiary bets on operational discipline, cargo diversification to drive recovery at Lagos terminal

February 10, 2026

Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

July 29, 2025
NGX taps tech advancements to drive N4.63tr capital growth in H1

Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

August 8, 2025

6 MLB teams that could use upgrades at the trade deadline

Top NFL Draft picks react to their Madden NFL 16 ratings

Paul Pierce said there was ‘no way’ he could play for Lakers

Arian Foster agrees to buy books for a fan after he asked on Twitter

AfriGO cards launch on PalmPay app as Nigeria pushes domestic payments adoption

AfriGO cards launch on PalmPay app as Nigeria pushes domestic payments adoption

February 15, 2026
Credit constraints, price volatility cloud agribusiness outlook

Credit constraints, price volatility cloud agribusiness outlook

February 15, 2026
Bedrock Residences appoints Kofo Ati-John as chairman

Bedrock Residences appoints Kofo Ati-John as chairman

February 14, 2026
Nigerian Breweries rated ‘buy’ as analysts see stronger earnings demand driving recovery

Nigerian Breweries returns to profitability with N99bn net income

February 14, 2026

Popular News

  • Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • SIFAX subsidiary bets on operational discipline, cargo diversification to drive recovery at Lagos terminal

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
Currently Playing

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

Business AM TV

Edeme Kelikume Interview With Business AM TV

Business AM TV

Business A M 2021 Mutual Funds Outlook And Award Promo Video

Business AM TV

Recent News

AfriGO cards launch on PalmPay app as Nigeria pushes domestic payments adoption

AfriGO cards launch on PalmPay app as Nigeria pushes domestic payments adoption

February 15, 2026
Credit constraints, price volatility cloud agribusiness outlook

Credit constraints, price volatility cloud agribusiness outlook

February 15, 2026

Categories

  • Frontpage
  • Analyst Insight
  • Business AM TV
  • Comments
  • Commodities
  • Finance
  • Markets
  • Technology
  • The Business Traveller & Hospitality
  • World Business & Economy

Site Navigation

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy & Policy
Business A.M

BusinessAMLive (businessamlive.com) is a leading online business news and information platform focused on providing timely, insightful and comprehensive coverage of economic, financial, and business developments in Nigeria, Africa and around the world.

© 2026 Business A.M

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us

© 2026 Business A.M