Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Saturday, February 21, 2026
  • Login
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Subscribe
Business A.M
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Home Economy

NLC calls off nationwide protest, issues March 13 ultimatum to FG

by Admin
January 21, 2026
in Economy, Frontpage

Business a.m

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has announced the suspension of its nationwide protest, citing the success of the first day of protests. The Congress has however extended its deadline to the federal government to March 13 to implement all its demands.

NLC said that it had achieved almost all of its objectives for the protest and had no need to continue for a second day. The protest, which was scheduled to last for two days, saw thousands of workers from various sectors take to the streets to demand better wages, improved working conditions, and better security for workers.

In a statement signed by Joe Ajaero, the president of the NLC, and Ismail Bello, the acting general secretary, the congress said that it made the decision to suspend the protest at a National Executive Council (NEC) meeting. The NEC is the highest decision-making body of the NLC, and the decision to suspend the protest was made after careful consideration of the progress made on the first day.

According to the statement, the NLC said that its NEC in session on Friday, 16th 2024 had ordered a two-day nationwide protest to show support for the people of Nigeria who were suffering from the rising cost of living. The NEC had specifically protested against the government’s decision to increase the price of petrol and to float the naira. 

The first day of the protest was reviewed by the NEC in order to assess its effectiveness and to decide on further action. The NEC decided that the protest had been successful and had demonstrated the will of the people to resist government policies that were causing widespread suffering and hardship. However, the NEC also decided that there was no need for a second day of protest, and that the best course of action was to continue to engage with the government to find solutions to the problems facing the people of Nigeria.

The statement read in part, “To this end, NEC commended Nigerians, all NLC affiliates, state Councils, Workers and Civil Society Allies across the Nation for trooping out in large numbers to peacefully demonstrate their outrage on the hardship imposed by the government and its twin altars – the IMF and the World Bank.

“NEC also deeply appreciates Nigerian workers and masses for sending a strong message to the powers that be on their united resolve to demand accountability from those who occupy positions of leadership in our nation. It believed that the message has strongly resonated.

“Consequently, NEC-in-session resolved as follows: To suspend street action for the second day of the Protest having achieved overwhelming success thus attaining the key objectives of the 2-day protest on the first day.”

However, the NLC stated that the nationwide action would continue on the following day, with state councils and the national headquarters holding simultaneous press conferences across the country. 

The NLC explained that the decision to continue with the nationwide action for another 7 days was made in order to reaffirm and extend the 7-day ultimatum that had been given to the government on 2nd October 2023. The new deadline was set for 13th March 2024, and the government was expected to implement all the demands that had been made during the nationwide protest. 

Admin
Admin
Previous Post

Grim omen as ECOWAS loses Burkina, Mali, Niger (3)

Next Post

Risk-based approach as an imperative for insurance market development in Nigeria

Next Post

Risk-based approach as an imperative for insurance market development in Nigeria

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

February 11, 2026

Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

July 29, 2025
NGX taps tech advancements to drive N4.63tr capital growth in H1

Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

August 8, 2025

CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

July 29, 2025

6 MLB teams that could use upgrades at the trade deadline

Top NFL Draft picks react to their Madden NFL 16 ratings

Paul Pierce said there was ‘no way’ he could play for Lakers

Arian Foster agrees to buy books for a fan after he asked on Twitter

Nigeria unveils N800bn industrial push to cut oil dependence

Nigeria unveils N800bn industrial push to cut oil dependence

February 20, 2026
CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

February 19, 2026
Zoho targets Africa expansion after 30 years with self-funded growth strategy

Zoho targets Africa expansion after 30 years with self-funded growth strategy

February 19, 2026
GSMA presses telecoms to rethink business models for trillion-dollar B2B growth

GSMA urges rethink of spectrum policy to close rural digital divide

February 19, 2026

Popular News

  • Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Glo, Dangote, Airtel, 7 others prequalified to bid for 9Mobile acquisition

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
Currently Playing

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

Business AM TV

Edeme Kelikume Interview With Business AM TV

Business AM TV

Business A M 2021 Mutual Funds Outlook And Award Promo Video

Business AM TV

Recent News

Nigeria unveils N800bn industrial push to cut oil dependence

Nigeria unveils N800bn industrial push to cut oil dependence

February 20, 2026
CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

February 19, 2026

Categories

  • Frontpage
  • Analyst Insight
  • Business AM TV
  • Comments
  • Commodities
  • Finance
  • Markets
  • Technology
  • The Business Traveller & Hospitality
  • World Business & Economy

Site Navigation

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy & Policy
Business A.M

BusinessAMLive (businessamlive.com) is a leading online business news and information platform focused on providing timely, insightful and comprehensive coverage of economic, financial, and business developments in Nigeria, Africa and around the world.

© 2026 Business A.M

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us

© 2026 Business A.M