Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Friday, February 20, 2026
  • Login
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
Subscribe
Business A.M
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Home Asia

China expected to divert outstanding U.S. soybean cargoes into reserves

by Admin
June 4, 2019
in Asia, WORLD BUSINESS & ECONOMY
China will stockpile up to 7 million tonnes of soybeans bought from the United States during an earlier truce in the trade war between the nations, two traders familiar with the matter said, rather than crush them for immediate sale as a feed ingredient.
The unusual move to store such large volumes of the U.S. oilseed comes as China faces the specter of a drawn out trade conflict with its second-largest supplier of the commodity after tensions between the two escalated abruptly last month.
China typically buys about two thirds of globally traded soybeans to help feed its huge livestock herd, although it has been taking steps to reduce that such as turning to alternative meals and crimping protein levels in feed.
China bought about 14 million tonnes of U.S. soybeans from December as part of the truce in the trade spat between the world’s top two economies.
More than 6 million tonnes have already been shipped to China, with most of that processed into oil and feed ingredient soymeal, said a trade source at a state-owned company and another trader at an international trading house.
However, remaining beans booked by state-owned COFCO and Sinograin but not yet shipped will be diverted to state reserves, said a trader familiar with the matter.
A Singapore-based trader at an international trading company who was briefed on the matter confirmed the change in strategy, which took place in May following renewed tensions between Beijing and Washington.
“Whatever volumes of beans that now come from the U.S. go into storage, as they are preparing for a long-drawn trade war,” the trader said.
All the traders declined to be identified as they were not authorized to speak to media.
Sinograin, which manages state soy reserves, did not respond to a fax seeking comment on the issue. COFCO did not reply to an email to its media department.
The shift in purchasing strategy followed the sudden escalation in the Sino-U.S. trade war last month, when U.S. President Donald Trump hiked tariffs on imports of Chinese goods, triggering a swift response from Beijing.
China, the world’s top soybean buyer, had already sharply reduced imports from the United States after setting a 25% duty on such cargoes last July in response to earlier tariffs on Chinese goods set by Washington.
To offset the fall in U.S. imports, China stepped up buying from Brazil and other countries.
Many in the sector had been counting on a resolution to the trade dispute before the next U.S. soybean harvest around October. But with the sharp deterioration in trade relations in recent weeks, China may now enter a second crop year with prohibitive tariffs on U.S. supplies.
“Obviously the U.S.-China relations have gone terrible and everyone is expecting a protracted trade war,” said Darin Friedrichs, Shanghai-based Senior Asia commodity analyst at INTL FCStone.
Admin
Admin
Previous Post

Wall Street gains on rate-cut hopes; tech leads rebound

Next Post

Onne Port invest $10m in operational infrastructure

Next Post

Onne Port invest $10m in operational infrastructure

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

February 11, 2026
NGX taps tech advancements to drive N4.63tr capital growth in H1

Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

August 8, 2025

Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

July 29, 2025

CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

July 29, 2025

6 MLB teams that could use upgrades at the trade deadline

Top NFL Draft picks react to their Madden NFL 16 ratings

Paul Pierce said there was ‘no way’ he could play for Lakers

Arian Foster agrees to buy books for a fan after he asked on Twitter

CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

February 19, 2026
Zoho targets Africa expansion after 30 years with self-funded growth strategy

Zoho targets Africa expansion after 30 years with self-funded growth strategy

February 19, 2026
GSMA presses telecoms to rethink business models for trillion-dollar B2B growth

GSMA urges rethink of spectrum policy to close rural digital divide

February 19, 2026
Unilever, Google Cloud partnership raises stakes in consumer goods digital transformation race

Unilever, Google Cloud partnership raises stakes in consumer goods digital transformation race

February 18, 2026

Popular News

  • Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    Igbobi alumni raise over N1bn in one week as private capital fills education gap

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Reps summon Ameachi, others over railway contracts, $500m China loan

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • How UNESCO got it wrong in Africa

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
Currently Playing

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

Business AM TV

Edeme Kelikume Interview With Business AM TV

Business AM TV

Business A M 2021 Mutual Funds Outlook And Award Promo Video

Business AM TV

Recent News

CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

CMAN calls oil revenue reform key to investor confidence recovery

February 19, 2026
Zoho targets Africa expansion after 30 years with self-funded growth strategy

Zoho targets Africa expansion after 30 years with self-funded growth strategy

February 19, 2026

Categories

  • Frontpage
  • Analyst Insight
  • Business AM TV
  • Comments
  • Commodities
  • Finance
  • Markets
  • Technology
  • The Business Traveller & Hospitality
  • World Business & Economy

Site Navigation

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy & Policy
Business A.M

BusinessAMLive (businessamlive.com) is a leading online business news and information platform focused on providing timely, insightful and comprehensive coverage of economic, financial, and business developments in Nigeria, Africa and around the world.

© 2026 Business A.M

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • About Us
  • Contact Us

© 2026 Business A.M