Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Saturday, August 22, 2026
  • Login
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • ONLINE & DIGITAL CONTENT PACKAGE
Subscribe
Business A.M
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • ONLINE & DIGITAL CONTENT PACKAGE
No Result
View All Result
Business A.M
No Result
View All Result
Home Frontpage

Reps unhappy as CBN fails to account for $11bn power funds disbursement

by Admin
July 29, 2025
in Frontpage

BY: Moses olajuwon Obajemu

 

The Central Bank of Nigeria could not give full details of the withdrawal of the sum of $11 billion from the excess crude account for the implementation of the failed national integrated power projects.

At a House of Reps public hearing on the matter, Godwin Emefiele, governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, was unable to provide the house of the details needed concerning the withdrawals as alleged by the accountant-general of the federation.

The money was withdrawn from the ECA between 2005 and 2007 to finance the NIPPs.

Adebisi Shonubi, a deputy governor of the CBN, who represented Emefiele at an investigative hearing organised by the House ad hoc committee on power sector reforms, only accounted for the N1.51tn as Nigerian Electricity Market Stabilisation Facility approved and disbursed to Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company after the privatisation exercise.

Shonubi stated that the apex bank, in line with the Federal Executive Council’s approval, granted a total sum of N213bn, out of which N189.1bn had been released so far, while N60.8bn had been repaid by the operators who accessed the fund through NBET.

The CBN also approved the sum of N701bn for the Nigeria Electricity Market Stabilisation Facility, out of which N694.98bn had been disbursed as of December 2018.

The CBN boss added that out of the N600bn approved for NBET, the sum of 85.41bn had so far been disbursed based on the company’s advice.

According to the apex bank, the fund was released with a view to enabling new investors to clear the legacy debts inherited from the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria before the privatisation of power assets.

Shonubi, who noted that liquidity was a major challenge facing the power sector, said all the intervention funds were 100 per cent guaranteed by the Federal Ministry of Finance Incorporated on behalf of the Federal Government.

Admin
Admin
Previous Post

Weak economic data drags S&P 500, Dow futures

Next Post

Nigeria may enter recession again in Q3-minister

Next Post

Nigeria may enter recession again in Q3-minister

  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest

CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

July 29, 2025

How UNESCO got it wrong in Africa

May 30, 2017

Glo, Dangote, Airtel, 7 others prequalified to bid for 9Mobile acquisition

November 20, 2017
NGX taps tech advancements to drive N4.63tr capital growth in H1

Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

August 8, 2025

6 MLB teams that could use upgrades at the trade deadline

Top NFL Draft picks react to their Madden NFL 16 ratings

Paul Pierce said there was ‘no way’ he could play for Lakers

Arian Foster agrees to buy books for a fan after he asked on Twitter

Seplat re-rating turns Elumelu’s $500m stake into $1bn holding 

Seplat re-rating turns Elumelu’s $500m stake into $1bn holding 

August 22, 2026
Afreximbank strengthens China funding pipeline with second AAA rating

Afreximbank strengthens China funding pipeline with second AAA rating

August 22, 2026
Global oil traders brace up for extended oil, LNG squeeze as hope fades for Iran war resolution 

Global oil traders brace up for extended oil, LNG squeeze as hope fades for Iran war resolution 

August 21, 2026
Moniepoint targets financial resilience with flexible savings, 17.5% returns

Moniepoint targets financial resilience with flexible savings, 17.5% returns

August 21, 2026

Popular News

  • CBN to issue N1.5bn loan for youth led agric expansion in Plateau

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • How UNESCO got it wrong in Africa

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Glo, Dangote, Airtel, 7 others prequalified to bid for 9Mobile acquisition

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Insurance-fuelled rally pushes NGX to record high

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
  • Major tech companies conquering Africa with sports

    0 shares
    Share 0 Tweet 0
Currently Playing

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

CNN on Nigeria Aviation

Business AM TV

Edeme Kelikume Interview With Business AM TV

Business AM TV

Business A M 2021 Mutual Funds Outlook And Award Promo Video

Business AM TV

Recent News

Seplat re-rating turns Elumelu’s $500m stake into $1bn holding 

Seplat re-rating turns Elumelu’s $500m stake into $1bn holding 

August 22, 2026
Afreximbank strengthens China funding pipeline with second AAA rating

Afreximbank strengthens China funding pipeline with second AAA rating

August 22, 2026

Categories

  • Frontpage
  • Analyst Insight
  • Business AM TV
  • Comments
  • Commodities
  • Finance
  • Markets
  • Technology
  • The Business Traveller & Hospitality
  • World Business & Economy

Site Navigation

  • Home
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy & Policy
Business A.M

BusinessAMLive (businessamlive.com) is a leading online business news and information platform focused on providing timely, insightful and comprehensive coverage of economic, financial, and business developments in Nigeria, Africa and around the world.

© 2026 Business A.M

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Technology
  • Finance
  • Comments
  • Companies
  • Commodities
  • ONLINE & DIGITAL CONTENT PACKAGE

© 2026 Business A.M